It is possible that you may develop plaque at one time or another. Untreated plaque can cause cavities and gum disease. Additionally, when plaque isn’t properly removed, it can turn into tartar. Tartar can only be removed with specialized tools in a dentist office. At Kanning Dental in Lawson, MO, family dentists Dr. Larry Kanning, and Dr. Nelson Kanning believe in educating patients on preventive dentistry. As dentists, we understand that complex dental issues arise, but most are preventable if patients take proper care of their teeth. Part of preventive dental care is visiting the dentist at least twice a year for comprehensive exams to check your teeth for any dental problems. At Kanning Dental, we are focused on providing consistent, high-quality dental care to each of our patients.
5 Ways To Prevent Plaque
- Removing bacteria from your mouth is imperative to maintaining optimal oral health. Most dentists suggest that patients should brush their teeth at least twice a day. It is also advised that patients should brush their teeth for at least 2 minutes during each session to receive the benefits of brushing your teeth.
- Flossing is an important part of your oral hygiene routine. Flossing helps remove harmful bacteria and debris that are stuck between your teeth. Flossing can also help prevent complex dental issues like gum disease and tooth decay. Patients can use dental picks, water flossers, or pre-threaded flossers to floss between their teeth. You can talk to Drs. Kanning and Kanning about which product is right for you.
- Try using an ADA approved mouthwash or antibacterial rinse. Mouthwash is a great way to remove harmful bacteria in your mouth. You can either use mouthwash before or after brushing your teeth. Some patients use mouthwash during the day to clean their teeth when brushing their teeth is not an option. However, mouthwash is not a replacement for regular brushing and flossing and should be used in conjunction with brushing and flossing to reap the benefits.
- Try to limit the number of sugary drinks and beverages you consume throughout the day. Sugars can stick to the teeth and the bacteria in your mouth feeds off the sugars. If the sugars and bacteria are not properly removed, it can lead to cavities and tooth decay.
- Schedule preventive care visits at least twice a year at Kanning Dental in Lawson, MO. Preventive care exams include a professional teeth cleaning which can help remove plaque using special tools. Drs. Kanning and Kanning will perform a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth to determine the health of your smile. If a dental problem is identified, Drs. Kanning and Kanning can provide a personalized treatment plan just for you.
Visit Kanning Dental in Lawson, MO
If you are looking for dentists you can trust in Lawson, MO, visit Kanning Dental Drs. Kanning and Kanning will be happy to work with you to help improve your smile. Patients can schedule an appointment online.