It’s just one sugary drink, how bad could it possibly be?
Did you know that tooth decay can be caused by bacteria and plaque in the mouth mixing with sugar and/or starches, creating an acid that attacks the tooth enamel? Consuming sugary beverages like sports drinks, sodas, teas, and energy drinks can negatively affect your tooth enamel. When the sugar from these beverages mixes with the bacteria in the mouth, it can cause an acid attack on the enamel which can last up to 20 minutes. The acids can eat away at your enamel and eventually lead to tooth enamel erosion or a cavity if your teeth are not properly cleaned. You may experience tooth sensitivity or pain if tooth decay breaks down your enamel. If you suspect you may have tooth decay or haven’t visited the dentist for a routine dental exam, visit Kanning Dental in Lawson, MO.
Fight Against Tooth Decay
Lawson dentist Dr. Nelson Kanning offers comprehensive family dentistry to patients of all ages. For all your dentistry needs, schedule a visit to Kanning Dental. Dr. Kanning believes in equipping patients with the knowledge they need to maintain excellent oral health. To fight against tooth decay and keep your teeth healthy, here are a few tips you can follow.
- Limit your consumption of sugary foods and drinks.
- Drink water. Water can help rinse out harmful bacteria and debris in the mouth, especially after consuming something sugary.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride. Fluoride can help protect the tooth enamel.
- If you do consume a sugary beverage, try drinking through a straw and don’t sip over a long period. Each time you sip, an acid attack can occur each time.
- Visit the dentist. Visit Kanning Dental twice a year for a routine dental exam and professional teeth cleaning. Dr. Kanning can catch early signs of decay and give you the treatment you need to improve the health of your smile.
Visit Our Lawson, MO Dental Office
Maintaining a healthy smile requires patients to make healthy choices regarding their oral health. If you have any questions or need to set up a routine dental exam, you can contact Kanning Dental. Our Lawson dental office offers a wide range of services that can help promote a healthy, beautiful smile. If you would like to schedule an appointment, you can contact Kanning Dental or schedule an appointment online.